These Foires Grasses fairs are a magnet for all lovers of foie gras and truffles: ducks, capons, geese, foie gras and truffles are all celebrated here in Brive.
It’s also a fantastic opportunity to meet the producers, taste their produce, and while you're there, stock up on provisions and finalise your recipes ahead of the Festive Season.
The friendly party atmosphere of these fairs is legendary, and there are awards to be won by the best producers.
The wow factor:
At the foire des rois (the Kings’ Fair dates from 1796), you can have your foies gras canned free of charge and sample a giant galette des rois (puff pastry pie filled with frangipane, traditionally eaten on Twelfth Night).
The Foires Grasses calendar for 2020-2021 :
- 21 November 2020: the first Foire Grasse of the season
- 5 December 2020: Foire Grasse with awards for prize-winning geese and ducks
- 12 December 2020: Foire Grasse with awards for prize-winning capons
- 9 January 2021: the foire des rois (Kings’ Fair) with awards for prize-winning truffles
- 6 February 2021: Foire Grasse with awards for prize-winning geese and ducks
- 6 March 2021: Foire Grasse for foie gras producers and traders