Whiz off and head for the Béarn Pyrénées valleys
The Aspe, Barétous and Ossau Valleys invite you to discover 5 ski resorts nestling at 1,100 to 2,450 metres altitude: La Pierre Saint Martin, Le Somport, Issarbe www.pyrenees-bearnaises.com
Artouste and Gourette www.ossau-pyrenees.com. These areas invite you to explore Béarn’s typical, preserved nature.
Our village resorts
La Pierre Saint Martin (1,500 – 2,200 m altitude). This resort’s small size is its greatest strength. Perfect for learning to ski, it will delight young and old alike. Enjoy a mix of relaxation, snow thrills and a super cool atmosphere with your instructor, it almost feels like “you’re at home”. La Pierre Saint-Martin is also the first Pyrénées resort to be granted the “Flocon vert” (Green Snowflake) label, highlighting its commitment to preserving the environment.
Le Somport (1,640-1,720 m altitude) is in the Pyrénées National Park. A recreation-focused leisure area with breathtaking scenescapes.
Issarbe, translate by: under the stars, is a one-of-a-kind snow sports area for nature lovers and families who wish to enjoy cross-country skiing and snowshoeing. The resort nestles at 1,500 metres altitude.
Artouste (1,997 m altitude) is an unusual resort, with its high-mountain ski area and its village on the shores of Fabrèges Lake facing the majestic Pic du Midi d’Ossau (2,884 m) and the Pyrénées National Park
Gourette (1,400 m to 2,450 m altitude) welcomes winter sports lovers to a skiable area covering some 125 ha with 42 kilometres of slopes spread over 3 skiing levels. Discover “Happy Place”, the novices’ space, the only one of its kind in the Pyrénées at the heart of the slopes.
Estimated opening dates
- La Pierre Saint Martin: 06 December 2019 to 13 April 2020
- Le Somport: end November 2019 to mid-April 2020
- Issarbe: 14 December 2019 to mid-April 2020
- Gourette: 07 December 2019 to 13 April 2020
- Artouste: 30 November 2019 to 29 March 2020
Getting to the resorts
- By car: Paris/Bordeaux/Pau via the A10/A65 motorway, or from Bayonne on the A63/A64
- By train: TGV Atlantique high-speed train Paris/Bordeaux/Pau (4h30) or Bordeaux-Pau (2h15) https://en.oui.sncf
- By plane: Pau-Pyrénées Airport www.pau.aeroport.fr
Air France proposes flights to Pau www.airfrance.fr
- all year round from Paris-Charles de Gaulle, Paris-Orly, Lyon-Saint Exupéry,
- from 21 December 2019 to 04 January 2020 from Strasbourg, Metz-Nancy-Lorraine, Brest
- from 21 December 2019 to 04 January 2020 and from 15 February to 07 March from Lille
Shuttle buses depart from Pau for the different ski resorts such as: Gourette, La Pierre Saint Martin, Artouste
- 25-26 January: Telemark Weekend in Gourette - obstacle trail through the snow
- 6-7 February: the Arc’Athlon in La Pierre-Saint-Martin – one-of-a-kind snowshoeing archery event
- 9 February: Issarbe Trail Blanc (White Trail) - two races on the snow totalling 8 and 14.5 km
- 15 March: Pic d’Anie Trophy and La Gérard Traille: two Alpine ski events starting out from La Pierre-Saint-Martin with the legendary Pic d’Anie Trophy celebrating its 65th anniversary!
- 22 March: Pyrenea Triathlon, this mythical race runs from Pau to Gourette with solo competitors and teams and includes running, cycling and cross-country skiing. www.pyreneasports.com
- 29 March: The Gourettoise. 2-event Alpine ski race: the elitee Alpi Tour race (1,600 m difference in altitude) and the Rando Tour race www.pyreneeschrono.fr
Did you know?
If you’d like to head off for a hassle-free ski trip this winter, then book your break on N’PY: accommodation, equipment, ski pass and a host of other activities! www.n-py.com and for more detail https://neige.tourisme64.com